Labour has won the Batley and Spen by-election of 1 July 2021, but only narrowly, after over 20% of the vote was taken by the demagogue George Galloway.
Formally Galloway stood for the "Workers' Party of Britain", an ultra-Stalinist sect. In fact he stood to gain publicity (and money, because he makes his ample income as a media figure) for George Galloway.
To do that he fomented and used antisemitism and homophobia against Labour and the Labour candidate Kim Leadbeater. Although he blustered about winning, he knew that a big vote for him would give the constituency to the Tories, and gloried in that.
Workers' Liberty has condemned George Galloway ever since his public "salute" to Saddam Hussein in 1994. We condemned him in the years when much of the activist left applauded him. These days he is a public ally not only of distant tyrants but also of nearer-to-hand far-rightists like Steve Bannon and Nigel Farage.
Read the story:
- Galloway and Bannon
- Galloway and the pro-Farage "left"
- Restore secular politics in Tower Hamlets!
- George Galloway and the making of a pseudo-socialist hero
- Generous George Galloway
- The "second coming" of George Galloway
- A fine romance: George Galloway and Saddam Hussein
- George Galloway: a factsheet, 2003
- As we were saying: George Galloway in 1994