The six Tory donors whom David Cameron hosted at Downing Street and Chequers donated £23 million to the Conservative Party, their party.
Their vast wealth is what secures them influence in society – not just through donations, dodgy or legit, but through the sheer power that the very possession of such wealth constitutes under capitalism.
Naturally, working-class organisations cannot hope for support from such rich individuals. Our movement has been built collectively out of millions of subscriptions and membership fees from millions of workers, poor or slightly better than poor.
That is true even for a mighty trade union such as Unite or Unison, and more so for a small socialist group such as the AWL. We rely on relatively small amounts of money from people like you. Without it, we cannot challenge the fat bureaucracies of the labour movement, let alone take on the political machine the Tories have built in order to serve the super-rich.
* Taking out a monthly standing order. There is a form at www.workersliberty.org/resources and below
* Making a donation. You can send it to us at the address below (cheques payable to “AWL”) or do it online at www.workersliberty.org/donate
* Organising a fundraising event
* Taking copies of Solidarity to sell at your workplace, university/college or campaign group.
* Get in touch to discuss joining the AWL.
More information: 07796 690 874 / email@example.com / AWL, 20E Tower Workshops, 58 Riley Rd, SE1 3DG.
Total raised so far: £10,741
We raised £416 this week from donations, increased standing orders and new subscriptions.