There will be gold medals for corporate sponsors, TV networks, sportswear manufacturers and politicians.
But will Hackney’s workers and communities get the wooden spoon?
The Olympic Games are big business. But unless we put up a fight, we could end up with ‘regeneration’ that pushes up prices, reduces our green space, and creates facilities that local residents can not afford.
Property developers will use the opportunity to make a ‘land grab’.
And Ken Livingstone expects us to pay for this through the already-extortionate Council Tax!
Hackney Trades Union Council is to launch a campaign alongside other labour movement and community bodies to make sure that the Olympics benefit workers not multi-nationals. Hackney Solidarity is happy to lend our support.
- reopening of closed sports facilities eg. Haggerston Pool, London Fields Lido
- no loss of Hackney Marshes
- new housing to be social housing
- facilities to be kept public after the Games and to be affordable to local people
- jobs and training for local people
- safe, unionised, well-paid work
- no rise in Council Tax or transport fares to pay for the Games - make big business pay from th