I have been reading through the glossy document introducing the Hackney Central Area Action Plan. I haven't quite worked out what it all means yet, but it is worth a wager that it could spell bad news for residents of my estate.
I was considering filling in the accompanying language form asking for a copy of it in plain English, but I reckon that if we work out our own glossary, we may be able to translate.
So here are a few for starters, and if anyone has any to add, please do:
- "high density housing" = rabbit hutches or sky scrapers
- "50% of new housing will be affordable" = the other 50% will be unaffordable
- "infill" = building on every 'spare' patch of land (see "underused land" below)
- "underused land" = where you walk your dog, play with your kids or step on some grass
- "communal open space within new development" = green spaces gated in for the used of (mostly private) residents only
Some other phrases possibly requiring translation are:
- local context
- sustainable communities
- new landmark buildings
- urban renaissance
- reuse of previously developed land