Download pdf (see "attachment", below).
Information about the labour movement in Egypt, Iraq, Iran, and elsewhere in the Middle East, and about what's being done in the British labour movement to raise solidarity.
Dave Quayle, the chair of the Political Committee of Unite, and Tony Woodhouse, the Unite Executive chair, have backed the campaign to defend Bob Carnegie, the Australian trade unionist facing legal charges for his role in a community protest in Brisbane.
Reza Shahabi, an Iranian labour leader imprisoned since June 2010, went on hunger strike on 17 Dec 2012 to protest against mistreatment by jail guards as well as prevention of his medical treatment by
Debate between Moshe Machover and Sean Matgamna
- Moshe Machover: "AWL - Abominable Warmongering Left"
- "Israel, Iran, and socialism". Sean Matgamna replies to Moshe Machover
- "Zionism: propaganda and sordid reality". Moshe Machover replies to Sean Matgamna
- "Israel and the 'essence of Zionism'". Sean Matgamna responds to Moshe Machover's second polemic.
- Two states - or no hope for either nation - third article by Sean Matgamna, dealing with a lecture in which Moshe Machover outlined his programme on Israel/Palestine
- Report of the Matgamna-Machover debate in London on 12 October
- Audio files (mp3) of the complete 12 October debate
The discussion article which sparked the debate
Debate and polemic following that article, other than the Machover-Matgamna exchange
- Iran and Israel: debating the issues. A selection (various authors)
- No to an Israeli attack on Iran! (Sacha Ismail)
- No to any attack on Iran: for working-class resistance to imperialisms big and small (Daniel Randall)
- "How I came to advocate an Israeli nuclear strike on Iran" (Sean Matgamna, replying to the Weekly Worker's "interpretation")
- Q & A on Israel-Iran (Martin Thomas)
- Ambiguities in the Third Camp (Bruce Robinson)
Other relevant reading
- Iran, Israel, and nuclear weapons (the back page article on the question in the same issue of Solidarity as carried the original discussion piece)
- When Marxists fall out: in defence of Sean Matgamna (Philip Bounds)
- The Weekly Worker group (CPGB) and its fatuous gossip sheet: The Cheshire cat of Stalinism
- The Weekly Worker group ("CPGB"): Under the sign of the oxymoron
Further sanctions imposed by US imperialism and its allies on Iran in December 2011 and July 2012 have aggravated the economic and social problems faced by workers and other exploited layers.
This article, by Morad Shirin of the Iranian Revolutionary Marxists' Tendency, was published on the Marxist Revival
Alireza Asgari and Jalil Mohammadi, labour activists and members of the Coordinating Committee to Help Form Workers’ Organisations, were arrested when Iranian security forces raided the annual general meeting of the Committee on 15 June.
Alireza Asgari and Jalil Mohammadi, both labour activists and members of the Coordinating Committee to Help Form Workers' Organisations, were arrested after security forces raided the annual general m
On 15 June about 60 labour activists were beaten and arrested during a raid on a house in Taraj by agents of the Islamic Republic of Iran's Intelligence Ministry.