The development of industrial society threw masses of women into the factories.
- The Life Of Vladimir Lenin: The Basic Facts, by Leon Trotsky
- Jacob Sverdlov, Organiser of the Bolshevik Party in the Russian Revolution, by Leon Trotsky
- Lenin the Practical Theoretician, by Karl Radek
- How the Bolshevik Party Was Built, by Brian Pearce
- What is Leninism?, by Leon Trotsky
- Did Leninism Turn Into Stalinism?
- Trotsky on Lenin's Suppressed Testament
- What Is Trotskyism?
- The State and Revolution
- On the Paris Commune
- Left Wing Communism
- Lenin on Dictatorship and Democracy
- Imperialism: The Highest Stage of Capitalism
- The Proletarian Revolution and the Renegade Kautsky
- Lenin on the National Question
- What Is To Be Done? Burning Questions of Our Movement
- Two Tactics of Social Democracy in the Democratic Revolution
- The Communist International and Its Place in History
- The Collapse of the Second International
DURING THE two decades of the great labour militancy, roughly from the mid-'50s to the late '70s, the most important revolutionary socialist organisation in Britain was the Socialist Labour League.
- Questions and Answers On The Crisis
- The Capitalist Mystique Shatters
- Privatizing Gains and Socializing Losses? Socialize The Gains!
- We're Talking About Socialism!
- A Workers' Answer To The Food Crisis
- A Workers' Response To The Crisis: Fight For A Workers' Government!
- A Workers' Plan For The Crisis
- For A Workers' Government!
- Why We Need A Workers' Government!
- Tories and Labour Converge: Fight For A Workers' Government!
- Why Won't The Unions Fight For A Workers' Party?
- Why You Should Be A Socialist
- What Is The Alliance For Workers' Liberty?
- AWL: Who We Are, What We Do, Why We Do it
- Our Traditions: Where The Alliance For Workers' Liberty Comes From Politically
Material for an AWL day school, November/ December 2005, and other stuff on the political differences between AWL and SWP.
This article was written to mark the 50th anniversary of the Fourth International in 1988.
An assessment of the leading thinker of post-Trotsky "orthodox Trotskyism", the "Fourth International".
Click here for the series on The Roots of Bolshevism of which this article is part
The organisation of the party will take the place of the party; the Central Committee will take the place of the organisation; and finally the dictator will take the place of the Central Committee.
Leon Trotsky, 1904
The 1906 speech of Leon Trotsky, on trial for his life, to the Tsarist court; introduction by Sean Matgamna.
The “war on terrorism” being waged by George W Bush’s US hyperpower and its political satellites, such as Tony Blair’s Britain, poses strongly the question of the attitude of Marxists toward political violence.
Or read online here:
The Palmer Raids
The death of Andrea Salsedo
Who were Sacco and Vanzetti?
Vanzetti's first trial
The trial of Sacco and Vanzetti
Sacco is also identified
The hnourable and virtuous prosecution witnesses
"Consciousness of guilt"
The working class organizes its protest
Court motions and mass movements
The case gets a "new complexion"
The Department of Justice is caught redhanded
The Madeiros confession
The militants demand a protest movement
Thayer replies to the protests
Governor Fuller takes a hand
One hundred million for Sacco and Vanzetti
From Shanghai to Chicago! From Cape Horn to Copenhagen!
The lessons of the Sacco-Vanzetti case
A monument to Sacco and Vanzetti
Nowhere can history find a parallel to the case of the two Italian immigrant workers, Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti. Many times before this there have been great social upheavals, revolutions, profound popular movements that have swept thousands and millions of people into powerful tides of action. But, since the Russian Bolshevik revolution, where has there yet been a cause that has drawn into its wake the people, not of this or that land, but of all countries, millions from every part and corner of the world; the workers in the metropolis, the peasant on the land, the people of the half-forgotten islands of the sea, men and women and children in all walks of life?
I: 5 September 1939
The Hitler-Stalin pact is the most sensational news to come out of Moscow in many years.
A collection of 24 articles by members of AWL or its predecessor organisations on some basic questions of SWP theory, history, politics and people.